Working on Mama

I have started applying color to my mothers portrait and things seem to be going in the right direction. On the first night I laid in some of the general flesh tones and tried to sculpt her face. I also added a grey background color which didn't turned out the way I wanted it to. I wanted the grey to be on top of the neutral brown I had underneath and for this color to show through the loose grey strokes. I guess I got paint happy since the I ended up covering the whole surface.
I decided to wipe off the grey and forget about that idea. At this point I was not sure as to where I was going and fear kicked in again and left the painting to "dry" so that I could glaze more colors. The drying excuse was just a way to stay away from this painting I'm afraid of ruining.
At this point I can't think about fear any more since I've pushed the painting further. Las night I worked on the portrait some more and was very happy with what I got done. After taking a break by surfing the web, I went back to look at the painting and my feelings about it changed. I like the resemblance to my mother. In the earlier stages of the painting she looked like she had gotten in a fight and her lips and nose were swollen. Now it looks more like her but in a plastic way. I went too heavy with the pinks. I kept saying that she looks like a plastic doll and that the painting looks more like an acrylic than oil. No offence to those who work in acrylic. I'm in my warrior mood today and I will be tackling this piece for a few hours tonight before I go to bed. Wish me luck!

Comments

Peter Yesis said…
This is turning out wonderfully Don't give up. I like the background color. I can relate to fear and fiddling aroud with the background. I think you should feel good about this one even if it is a struggle.
Jon Conkey said…
Luis, Very nice work! In fact, everything you have described as you are working is the "true" art of oil painting; pre-drawing can only take you so far; eventually one begins to trust the brush entirely for all experimenting and adjustments with texture,line, and color. Of course, I haven't a clue of what I am talking about, I am still learning to paint myself. JLC
Luis Colan said…
Thanks Peter and Jon for the words of encouragement. I've worked some more on the painting and I'm beginning to be pleased with it, although it still feels like a struggle.

luis
Mauricio said…
Te felicito Luis,

Un trabajo especial, con seguridad!

abrazos!
Mauricio said…
Te felicito Luis,

Un trabajo especial, con seguridad!

abrazos!
Luis Colan said…
Gracias Mauricio por dejarmelo saber dos veses! :)

Cuidate y un abrazo para ti tambien.

Luis
::Alejandro:: said…
So, have you shown it to your mom yet? What does she have to say?
Luis Colan said…
My family doesn't know about the portrait yet. I show her when I'm done, I want it to be a surprise.

Popular Posts