I've been working on this painting on and off for a while. I was very excited with it at the beginning but some how things turned and I couldn't seem to make any progress, no matter how much time I put into it. Picked it up again this week thinking maybe this is when everything will click and a moment of clarity would come that would let me see it through. But this is all in a land called perfect. Things are not that easy some times and a struggle is inevitable. But tonight I had enough of it and decided that it's time to start with a clean slate. I thought of striping the canvas off the stretchers and start working on a fresh canvas. At the last minute I decided to cover up the painting and start over on the same one.
I made a mixture of earth tones and some chalk so that I can get this new ground layer to be a little absorbent. I also needed to add chalk because the oil content was too high and needed to thicken it up.
I'm hoping with this new try things will work better, since I've taken note of many of my mistakes along the way. Now I'll have to focus on another piece until this canvas dries.