Starting Over

Good artists recognize their shortcomings and are willing, at all costs, to get the job done right. There's always a burning desire to get the painting finished correctly, to get the "masterpiece", if you will, in one shot. I'm one of those who will not settle for less, at least in my art. Like most artists I'm very hard on myself and to produce work that is not up to my standards is not an option. This is the case with this particular painting. Started as a tempera on a small panel a while back, it has now become an oil on canvas piece. Technical difficulties arose in the process and to make sure that the painting's longevity would not be compromised, sanding down the first paint layers was the right thing to do. Tempera layers removed, and a white background showing, I still was not happy with it. After looking and thinking about the painting, it came to me that it was all wrong. The format of the painting surface in relation to the subject (composition), and the scale, were all wrong. Some might keep going ahead since they had already started, but not I. A decision was made and a brand new painting of the same subject was started. I feel a lot better about it now. I like the almost square format of the canvas. Everything seems clear at the moment and all I have to do is bring the painting to life.

Comments

Mauricio said…
Hola Luis.

Siempre hermosos trabajos.

Después de unos deias de carnaval acá en Río, las cosas empiezan a caminar, la vida vuelve a su normal.

Que estés bien.
Luis Colan said…
Como estas Mauricio? Me da mucho gusto escuchar de ti. Que envidia tengo de ti, disfrutando de carnaval. Es uno de mis suenos poder, algun dia, ser parte de esa fiesta.
Saludos y un abrozo fuerte.

Popular Posts