Tangerine

Tangerine, 2007, oil on canvas, 6 x 8 inches
In the last couple of days I have been reading Hawthorne and have been inspired by his writing. His idea of placing different colors against each other, as opposed to modeling, to represent the subject is something that I was aware of thanks to Stephen Brown. But some how I lost that idea, and it was a nice eye opener to see it in print when I picked up Hawthorne on Painting. This morning I tried to put into practice his teaching, focusing on the color relationships as opposed to modeling and rendering. I approached this painting like as if I was new to oils, and just went with the flow. Since this is a study, it was not important for me to make a finished product, reason for not covering the whole canvas with paint. Besides, I like the way the unpainted areas look.

Comments

m collier said…
It's a nice one -- this is a good direction --
Luis Colan said…
Hey M, thanks! I'm trying to get more loose and worry more about paint appllication than the subject.
arianna said…
I *love* this painting!!! Nice work.
Luis Colan said…
Hey Ari, so nice to hear from you! It's been a while. I'm happy you "love" this painting. I was not sure if I liked it myself, but decided to post it anyway. It's all part of the learning experience.
Danielaphant said…
Beautiful painting. I hope you're still at it!

Popular Posts