Start Fresh Again

When I began this painting I had decided to approach my process in a new way. Instead of mixing colors on the palette, I took Tad Spurgeon’s advice (through his website), to mix the colors directly on the canvas and develop the painting from there. At first it seemed like I could be into something, hoping the new approach would take me on another direction. But after the canvas was covered with the first paint layer I couldn’t help thinking that everything looked grey and muddy. I hate muddiness! In order for me to keep working I needed to get the painting back to square one. Again, I covered the surface with earth tones and some Zinc white. It was time for a fresh start

I let it sit and dry for a couple of days, although I could have worked on it some more the very next day due to the fast drying time of the Canada Balsam medium I’m using. As always I start working on the background, an important element in my work since it sets the mood of the painting. In trying to keep the balance between warm and cool tones, I chose to work the background with King’s Blue. Recently I have been very interested in different blue pigments, and this was an excuse to put that interest into practice.

Comments

Adél Kiss said…
Very good blog and also very good pictures :D

Greetings from Hungary!

Adel
Luis Colan said…
thank you Adel, and greetings to you from the USA :)

Popular Posts