An Afternoon in Central Park

View of Central Park East from the Belvedere Castle

I kept my promise of visiting Central Park this summer. Yesterday I had planned to visit the Metropolitan Museum and sketch in the galleries. When I walked up the steps and to the main door a guard was telling people that the museum was closed for the day. I was very disappointed since I was ready to draw, and on top of that it was an uncomfortable walk there since the day was very humid. I didn't feel like going back home since I was uptown. I decided to take a stroll through central park instead. I'm very happy I did. It was the most relaxing day I've had since moving into the city. The vast amounts of grass and trees and birds was too much to handle. Central Park is very big, with little winding roads and paths that lead to different little areas, and at times one may feel lost it doesn't matter since it's such a great park.


The Belvedere Castle, a 19th century structure serves as the Henry Luce Nature Observatory.


A group of artists from one of the many art schools in the city paint in a little spot facing "The Lake"


One of the many horse carriages that run up and down through central park. Although very romantic I think I'll pass on this ride. It costs $40 for only twenty minutes!


Bethesda Fountain and Terrace.


Bethesda Fountain

I sat at the ledge of this fountain and drew for about an hour. I completed two little sketches of two of the little cherubs located at the center of the fountain. It was a great time drawing in the open air with the sound of the water running in the background. It was an ideal New York moment.

Comments

Luis Colan said…
Yes I know, many romantic scenes in movies and TV shows have been filmed here. Yes, to my amazement it was very peaceful.

luis

Popular Posts