At the Farmers Market

When I moved to New York about two years ago I was told by two of my patrons that I should go visit the Farmers Market in Union Square. They thought it would be a great idea since at that time I had just switched from abstraction to still lives. They told me about the amazing fruits and veggies I would find there, and to top it off they were fresh and cheap. I'm some what of a late bloomer, always doing things slow and keeping to myself. Sot it was not until about two weeks ago that I finally decided to go and see for myself what the whole deal was about.
An apple stand fulll in every inch of the tent!

The mushroom guy

I picked a perfect day for this adventure. During the week the temperature was very hot and humid, but on this Saturday the sun was out and a cool breeze swept throghout Union Square. The breeze kept me fresh as I walked around trying to capture the event with my camera. The Farmers Market is a long tradition in NYC. I'm not sure when, how or why it got started but every one knows about it. Farmers from the outskirts of the city come in three times a week to sell the fruit of their land. It was a very refreshing thing to see nature in the middle of the city. This market reminded me of the markets you dind in Peru. Unfortunately I was not prepared that day for purchasing, but I will be back very soon with money in hand to take some of this stuff home!

Greens and more greens!


I love scallions


What do we see? More greens!


Onions for days in this stand. I went nuts!


As always, tomatoes radiating.

Comments

Parisbreakfasts said…
I love the juicy closeups here..are you going to paint them?
Luis Colan said…
I took the close up pics for reference shots for future paintings. I'm not sure if I'll ever use them in my work.

luis
Luis Colan said…
Thanks Coco. The best way to visit NYC is to stay away from the big tourist atractions like Time Square and Madison Square Garden. You should go out into the little neighborhoods in down town like the Village and Little Italy.

Luis

Popular Posts