My Life In Red

Tomato, 2006, oil on canvas mounted on panel, 10 x 8 inches
The color red became my favorite years ago when I was a teenager. In 1998 The Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art in Hartford, Connecticut put up one of the best shows in that museum's history. Caravaggio and His Italian Followers was a hit, and I was there to see the wonders of his canvases. I fell in love with the way he used bright reds and deep darks, colors I adopted in my early stages of painting. Throughout the years red has played an important part in my work, especially in my abstract work. It was no wonder that when I saw this tomato in my refrigerator I had to just paint it and to try to bring to the painting the brightness and richness of the tomato's color. It has been a struggle trying to get it right, used two kinds of Cadmium Red, Indian Red, and Genuine Vermilion, among other colors. I think I'm done now, I'm happy with it...I don't think I can make it any brighter!

Comments

Luis Colan said…
Thanks Coco. Funny, when I was writing the intry for "Tomato" I was thinking of the Strawberry images in you blog and how sexy they were.

luis
Darren Maurer said…
Coco's strawberries, your tomato, and my grapes. We should all go on tour. "The Food Exhibit" I like your work by the way. I've been painting for 16 years and still feel like I have everything to learn. I thnk that is probably why I paint.
Luis Colan said…
jaja!!! I like that idea of the "The Food Exhibit". Very funny, and thank you for dropping by my blog.

luis
Anonymous said…
Red is a given. I think cadmium red light gives me that certain type of heat.

By the by, I'm still ozing from Bronzino's green. Let a sister know when you have a green post.
Luis Colan said…
It's Jack Nasty!!!!! So nice to hear from you girl. Yes red is a given, so is Cobalt blue!!!!

luis

Popular Posts