Panel Time!

I have been more of a canvas kind of guy. Canvas is easily available in a wide range of sizes at low cost, and if you're like me who likes to stretch his own canvas cost is even lower. Not to mention that you could make sizes suitable to your needs. But since last year I have been developing a new passion for panel. I used to think that panel was not for me because I loved the texture of the weave of a nice heavy canvas, but now I can't decide which one is best, at least for me. Panel is a complete different ball game. Paint doesn't grab on as quick as canvas. Aside from this little technical aspect panels are very expensive. The only way to make it cheap is if you buy birch wood from a lumber yard and cut it down to size. I don't have any power tools or the carpenter itch, so that has never been an option for me. I have been buying my panels already made with a cradle in back. These little guys cost me a big buck. I don't mind paying the price since I know that paintings look amazing on panels. For some reason colors look more intense. Everything becomes clear with panels. I was lucky enough though to cut my own panels out of left over birch plywood, from a new counter at Kremer Pigments, the other day. The image above shows the final cut pieces ready to be sized and primed. Can't wait to start working on that!
Today I spent a short time sanding down a number of panels I had already gessoed a couple months ago. I usually buy different panels and stretch many sizes of canvas at a time and get them all ready for paint. I like to have a good stock of painting supports because you never know what ideas might come and if you don't have the right support or size the idea might fade or loose it's intensity.
As you can see, I don't think I'll be running out of supports anytime soon. This is a microwave cart I've turned into my canvas/panel storage unit. I have to keep everything organized.
Sizes that are too large go in between this unit and another microwave cart I use as my painting table. I love using microwave carts because they have the right height and width, they are sturdy and I love the fact that they have little wheels at the bottom.

Comments

Luis Colan said…
you should try it, see how it feels and looks like. Having a small apartment is the main reason whey I have to keep things organized because living roo, bedroom and studio are all part of the same room!!! Oh well, I love living in NY no matter how small the apartmests may be.

Luis
Parisbreakfasts said…
Nice pictures...
Ms.Mole
Anonymous said…
Why don't you do a painting of the top photo of the boards?
Ms.Mole

Popular Posts