A Trip to Asheville

I just got back today from a vacation getaway to Asheville, North Carolina. Not a place I would normally go to but I was tagging along with someone else. I had a very relaxing three days in Asheville and wished they didn't end. The town was very charming, it reminded me of the movie Pleasantville. The people were nice, they all seemed to be very relaxed and chill, but at the same time I was creeped out because everyone looked the same. I was definitely out of my element. But I had a nice time non the less.
I found out in my stay that Asheville is a very artsy town. There were many galleries and the main disciplines to be featured were ceramics, glass, and other crafts like basket weaving. Didn't see much painting around, that was disappointing, but it was nice to know that the locals support their town artists. Asheville is a small southern town that has been getting a lot of attention in the past few years as a vacation destination. The town has been growing but it still remains small. The downtown area was full of little restaurants and coffee shops, some seemed to be more popular than others.
I stayed at the White Gate Inn, a lovely huge plum color Victorian home that has been running as a bed and breakfast for the past seven years. I was amazed with the garden!!!! As soon as you open the white gate in the front of the house you are greeted by lush greens and flowers rising from the ground high up to your waist. The image above is the entrance to the garden from back of the house, where one can find a small sitting area with a bong fire place in the middle. Situated next to it is one of two small ponds.


The sound of water running was soothing. Everything around was quiet and all you could hear is the water and birds. I was immediately fascinated by the fish in the pond. There were two big ones, yellow and orange each. The rest were smaller fish with the same coloring. They all seemed to be happy at home!


Comments

Anonymous said…
your post made me wanting to take a trip, so I am heading to my local beach !

C x
Luis Colan said…
I'm glad that my post made you think to take some time and go to the beach and relax. I didn't get to go to the beach while I was in North Carolina, I wanted to but time did not allow it. Summer is almost over and I haven't seen the beach yet. I hope I can make it by the end of the month. Enjoy your time!
Parisbreakfasts said…
There are some fab pictures here Luis..if you don't paint them I will! Love the fish n' flowers
Luis Colan said…
Thanks Carol, giving you all something a little different. I still have more to show from this trip!
mick mcginty said…
Luis,
first of all, thanks for dropping into my blog and giving me some great encouraging words. And second, would it be possible to use a couple of your photographs from your trip, to create some paintings. The Koy images, and the shots of the shaddy creek were amazing. My brother-in-law has a Koy pond, but it;s not anything like the shots you took. Here's my email... mickker@aol.com I would give you full photography credit.

Mick McGinty

Popular Posts