Working Out Ideas

I have been enjoying working on my Moleskine sketchbook and getting down new ideas for potential paintings. Some ideas have been coming to mind, and instead of going to the kitchen and setting up a still life, I sit down to put what I'm thinking on paper. As I have said before, I am not the type of artist who draws and plans for paintings, but in the recent past I have started to enjoy the process of drawing and its use towards painting. Even if a final piece does not come of it, it is still a great exercise for the brain. It keeps me aware of possibilities and brings new found energy to painting. I would love to see these drawings come alive on canvas or panel and color, but I also like the spontaneous look of them that I just want to keep them as they are. I guess if I do decide to make paintings out of these sketches I will have to work loosely to capture the moment of the drawing.
I would love to make a painting of this drawing, this much I can admit. This still life will have a festive feel with the reds of the tomatoes and the golden tones of the onions I will be using. What will add a punch of color to this composition is the kitchen towel in witch the pan sits on. This towel has stripes of blue, green and yellow running horizontally. These cool colors will be great compliments to the warm hues of the tomatoes and onions. I'm also excited about this future painting because it was an idea taken from a previous one I did in 2005, Onion on Bowl.
I love the use of drapery in still life painting. It adds a different dimension and movement; and activates the area of the painting where the ledge of a table sits without any visual interest. The best example of a painter using this device is Chardin!
This sketch was made recently after the painting was finished; at least that's what I thought. I had to make this diagram and point out the things I needed to fix in the painting after a critique with Miss Gillot. All I can say guys...She's a tough one! Small changes have been made since then but I think I can fine tune it a bit more.
This is a quick sketch of two California Peaches I'm planning on using in a larger still life. I'm excited about this one because it will be an ode to Chardin. I'm not sure when I'm going to have the guts to do it since by making such a work I am almost comparing myself to him, and I have a long way to go before I or any one can do that.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great post and reminder that there is always something to learn. A suggestion about comparisons to other artist. This can be a trap that keeps us away from fully expressing our own voice/vision.
Luis Colan said…
yes, there's always something to learn. Thank you for leaving a comment Bob and for including me in your art links.

luis
::Alejandro:: said…
Luís, me encanta tu dedicación, tu disciplina, la manera en que te enfrentas a tu arte, la manera en que piensas. Se nota tu talento, tus ganas, y sobre todo, tu gran humanidad. Te felicito.

No cabe duda, hermano, vas a llegar muy lejos.

I'll have to buy one of your paintings before their cost goes through the roof, huh?

Muchos saludos,



Alejandro
.
.
.
Peru Food
Luis Colan said…
Hola alejandro, que chevere ver tu nombre por estas parte. Hace tiempo visito tu blog y es como que te desapareciste. Muchisimas gracias for tus lindas palabras, de verdad. Esa clase de comentarios me llena de alegria y orgullo y me da el aliente que nesecito para seguir adelante. Ojala Dios me haga llegar lejos con my arte. Yo voy adonde el quiera llevarme.
Saludos para ti tambien y nos ablamos pronto. ARRIVA EL PERU CARAJO!!!!!! :)

Luis
ming said…
I know exactly what you mean about the spontianity of drawing, it hardly ever traslates into a painting, this is why i think drawing is an artform in itself!
Anonymous said…
Hey Luis...with Miss Carol as our mutual friend, I look forward to the day you and I might meet. I agree with Bob's comment regarding comparing oneself to other painters. As soon as you put that very first brushstroke down on your "ode to Chardin," the painting will be about YOU, and Chardin would smile in thanks 'cause your art is quite elegant. I LOVE your "Fruit of the Past". It's looser than others you've done, I think.
Most inspiring!
S.Jersey Boy
Luis Colan said…
Hey Ming, I have always liked the way drawings look, it shows the artist's thinking process but for some reason I didn't practice it. Now I'm enjoying it.

S.Jersy Boy, thanks for leaving a comment, I guess we'll meet soon. It's up to Miss Carol.

Luis
Mauricio said…
Amigo Luis,

Siempe con trabajos geniales

Eu tiro o chapeú.

Artista de prima, un saludo

Mauricio
ming said…
paint something already man!
Luis Colan said…
Hey Ming, it's a holiday weekend here in the US and I have been away from home. I have been painting though. Working on a small egg tempera painting. Those little suckers take long. I'll post something tomorrow night after I get home.

luis

Popular Posts